[squid-dev] [RFC] WCCP alternatives implentations.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun Apr 2 18:27:10 UTC 2017

To answer you both I must clarify that I do not plan to invent the wheel.
I was thinking about WCCP at first and I learned it some time ago but..
It's far easier to wrote a daemon that *will not* be a part of squid code that will notify to the router daemon about squid state and existence.
I will not try to bother squid developers to try and add support embedded into squid for such a task.

The idea is:
2 different daemons

First the squid or another software side which will have some "marker" or a "flag" for the squid proxy state. This daemon will verify if squid or anther proxy is indeed running fine.
Also there is an option for a third side status reflector that will help to monitor the proxy state else then the daemon that sits on the proxy.

Second a daemon on the router which will do all sort of weird things like IPTABLES and IP rules that will make sure that the traffic is being routed to the right proxy and will get to a decision based on the "third wheel and it own monitoring".

I will not write and RFC since I really don't want to and I think that when and if implemented it would be very simple to operate.

So just announcing and nothing else.
If the project would like the concept and the idea and someone will want to use this idea and software he can feel free to... it will probably be a 3 clause BSD licensed software.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru