[squid-dev] [RFC] WCCP alternatives implentations.

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Apr 2 17:21:53 UTC 2017

On 04/02/2017 03:40 AM, Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> I am planning to write a daemon for Linux routers that will be the
> alternative to WCCP on Linux or other routers.

> I am not going the 100% binary format like WCCP but a more HTTP\RPC a like
> protocol.

FYI: The latest HTTP version is "100% binary".

> So first,  would the squid project like to cooperate with such a feature?

If somebody submits a high-quality patch adding support for an
experimental peering protocol, it will be reviewed and might be
accepted, but designing and implementing a new protocol is a very
difficult task, and there are bigger Squid problems to solve than WCCP
improvements, so I would discourage spending scarce Project resources in
this direction (and risking rejection).

> I want to know if there are some recommendations and
> guidelines before implementing such a project.

If you are sure a new protocol is needed, then I recommend starting with
an Internet Draft and getting that peer reviewed by interested parties
(which you will need to find!). Garri has offered good starting points
for this kind of work in his response to your RFC. None of these first
steps require Squid development or even Project participation.

After that, you can come back to squid-dev with a reviewed Draft and try
to secure "acceptance in principle" in advance of a Squid implementation.

The next step would be to find a developer willing to implement your
Draft specs in Squid. You can make this your first step, but doing so
may be impractical without more detailed specs (at least).

HTH,