[squid-dev] [RFC] WCCP alternatives implentations.

Garri Djavadyan garryd at comnet.uz
Sun Apr 2 15:21:00 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-02 14:40, Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> I have a project I have been planning and it might take some time but I
> do
> want to implement this one.
> WCCP is a Cisco only protocol so they are the only that benefit from
> this
> protocol.

AFAIK, WCCP(v2) is Cisco-developed, but is not Cisco-proprietary
protocol. Squid's implementation of the protocol is an example of the
fact. You can find the list for third-party software implemented
WCCP(v2) on Wikipedia pages [1].

> I am planning to write a daemon for Linux routers that will be the
> alternative to WCCP on Linux or other routers.
> I am not going the 100% binary format like WCCP but a more HTTP\RPC a
> like
> protocol.

Is not it easier to implement already designed protocol, rather then
design it from scratch?
I believe, you could consult expired RFC draft WCCPv2 specification [2].

> So for example the server cannot state "I can handle 3000 clients" and
> then
> the admin need to tweak the router manually.

I believe, you can extend the existing RFC draft [2] and move it to new
version.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Cache_Communication_Protocol#Products_that_implement_WCCP
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilson-wrec-wccp-v2-01

Please correct me, if my comments are inaccurate/wrong.

Garri