[squid-dev] [RFC] WCCP alternatives implentations.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun Apr 2 09:40:34 UTC 2017

Hey All,

I have a project I have been planning and it might take some time but I do
want to implement this one.
WCCP is a Cisco only protocol so they are the only that benefit from this
protocol.
I am planning to write a daemon for Linux routers that will be the
alternative to WCCP on Linux or other routers.
I am not going the 100% binary format like WCCP but a more HTTP\RPC a like
protocol.
I have been working and testing with:
- Json
- Yaml
- Msgpack
And couple other which each have it's own advantages or disadvantages.
I am planning to make it a TCP based API that will work in some level like
BGP that is based on the connection being alive and probes to verify that
the other peer is still there.
There are couple daemons that does something like this and one of them is
related to ETCD and couple other service discover protocols.

I want this "project" to be synchronized with the squid-cache project so we
would be able to have the solution be of helpful to linux based routers.
I do not remember the exact details but one of the things which wccp lacks
of is "who is included" in the service from the server side.
So for example the server cannot state "I can handle 3000 clients" and then
the admin need to tweak the router manually.

So first,  would the squid project like to cooperate with such a feature?
And in any case I want to know if there are some recommendations and
guidelines before implementing such a project.

Thanks,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru