[squid-dev] New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for Squid after IndependentRunner

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Sep 9 19:26:30 UTC 2016

On 09/09/2016 11:21 AM, Christos Tsantilas wrote:
> On 09/09/2016 07:00 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>>> Well, the registerRunner() method should be used instead of
>>> RegisterRunner for ConnStateData and IDleConnList. But this change
>>> somewhere lost while I was playing with the patches.

>> [rant] Which means our testing was inadequate again. Accidents happen,
>> but such a major bug should not have went unnoticed if proper testing
>> was in place.[/rant]

> But it is not exactly bug. The registereRunner() method just calls
> "RegisterRunner(this)", it does not do anything else.
> Just we did not replace RegisterRunner(this); with the
> IndependedRunner::registerRunner call.

Ah, this is minor, and no functionality testing could expose this. I
incorrectly thought that we are not registering independent runners at all.

BTW, you can probably move the sketched RegisterRunnerUnlessShutdown()
function into the IndependedRunner::registerRunner() itself and also add
a Must(not an independent runner) check to the sketched
RegisterOrGetRidOfRunner().