[squid-dev] g++ 4.8.x and std::regex problems

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Nov 28 21:46:15 UTC 2016

On 11/25/2016 06:39 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 25/11/2016 11:50 p.m., Christos Tsantilas wrote:
>> I have problems to run latest squid-5. The reason looks that it is the
>> r14954, which removes old GnuRegex and uses the std::regex API.
>>
>> The std::regex supported from gcc-4.9 and latest releases and I am still
>> using an gcc-4.8.4 on my kubuntu-14.04 LTS release.

> I think GCC 5 is going to be the minimum for Squid-5.

Why was a change with such serious known consequences committed without
any discussion on squid-dev?

> Despite the unreasonableness I'm procrastinating as much as I can to
> balance the overlap of timelines.

The decision what goes into trunk, v5, or whatever you call the master
branch should be done by the community. We should be discussing the pros
and cons of dropping libregex support and requiring GCC v5 now, not
waking up with a master branch that we cannot use without painful
environment changes.

v5 r14954 commit message does not document any benefits except reducing
headaches associated with supporting [custom] regex libraries. And even
that benefit is partially offset by headaches associated with upgrading
from custom regex libraries. There is no indication that the new
STL-dependent implementation has been tested to be at least as fast as
the old code. And no warning that some regular expressions are no longer
supported.

Please undo that commit and let's discuss whether switching from
libregex to std::regex now is a good idea.