[squid-dev] g++ 4.8.x and std::regex problems

Christos Tsantilas christos at chtsanti.net
Fri Nov 25 10:50:23 UTC 2016

Hi all,

   I have problems to run latest squid-5. The reason looks that it is
the r14954, which removes old GnuRegex and uses the std::regex API.

The std::regex supported from gcc-4.9 and latest releases and I am still
using an gcc-4.8.4 on my kubuntu-14.04 LTS release.

OK, I can upgrade to newer OS (currently not without problems), but
since the end-of-life of ubuntu-14.04 and I suppose other OSes (eg
debian Wheezy, centos7) are near the 2019 is it legal to stop supporting
them? A developer which uses latest CentOs as primary system needs to
recompile gcc-4.9, to continue working.

The squid-trunk (or now squid-5) is not running only on developers
machines, sometimes runs on customers machines they need special
features or need to test the new features and configurations.

Regards,
    Christos