[squid-dev] [RFC] client header mangling

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Jun 9 21:49:17 UTC 2016

I am trying to understand so bear with me couple seconds.
I have seen that there are pages\servers which doesn't state about the User-Agent in the Vary response while still taking it into account.

The caching side of the picture is storing an object which will never be served.
The HIT ratio is a whole other story  of the picture.

Since I am not inside the code but I do try to understand, currently what happens?
How many lookups are done for\per a request? Do we run an object lookup after the response headers was received from the server?
Can we predict a Vary object based on the request only?(I assume that it will be an estimated and not absolute certainty if at all)
Also let say we have a 1k page ahead, would we want it to be fetched from disk\ram store rather then from the origin server after we told it we want the object?

I am almost sure that lowering the disk and ram stored objects should be a goal by itself if we cannot "dig" them up from ram or disk later for any use.

A request_header_replace can work only for "generic" ones such as without a language preference such as "br" added to some requests by browser add-ons.

Now a step further, I can write a tiny ICAP service that will "handle" common Vary headers from FireFox and other browsers to test how it affects caches in general.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator