[squid-dev] Broken trunk after r14735, r14726

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 19 15:23:07 UTC 2016

On 07/19/2016 12:52 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> 4) designing our code to use an abstraction API that renames all the
> library structures and functions to some thing we understand easier **.

If multi-library support is needed, and there is no existing usable
generic wrapper, then this is the only sane approach IMO.

Today, Squid's need for GnuTLS support is relatively tiny, the amount of
skill and work required to fully support multiple SSL libraries is huge,
and the Project ability to test breakage before trunk commits is
approximately zero, but we have boarded that arguably wrong train, and
it has left the station, so we now have to endure the painful trip and
pray it would not become the last straw that breaks camel's back.

This strategic blunder does not explain why Ptr is different from
Pointer, Session is different from SessionState, and two reset*()
methods treat self-reset differently, but, again, I see no practical way
to mitigate these problems given the current Project resources.