[squid-dev] HTTP meetup in Stockholm

Kinkie gkinkie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:20:59 UTC 2016

Well, there are representatives from all major UA makers. So while I don't
expect them to deviate from their business objectives for us, if we have
any specific grievances for them, we certainly can.

Regarding JSON headers: what I like about it is that while everything you
say is true, more or less can be said about the current state of affairs
which is more or less free-for-all. At least with json we would have an
uniform machine-parseable format.
It could however very well be that our feedback be that it is not ambitious
enough and we would prefer e.g. ASN1+ some schema

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Marcus Kool <marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com>
wrote:

> On 07/12/2016 06:53 AM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
>
>> tis 2016-07-12 klockan 18:34 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>>
>>> I'm much more in favour of binary formats. The HTTP/2 HPACK design
>>> lends
>>> itself very easily to binary header values (ie sending integers as
>>> interger encoded value). Following PHK's lead on those.
>>>

>> json is very ambiguous with no defined schema or type restrictions.
>> It's up to the receiver to guess type information from format while
>> parsing, which in itself is a mess from security point of view.
>>
>> The beauty of json is that it is trivially extensible with new data,
>> and have all basic data constructs you need for arbitrary data. (name
>> tagged, strings, integers, floats, booleans, arrays, dictionaries and
>> maybe something more). But for the same reason it's also unsuitable for
>> HTTP header information which should be consise, terse and un-ambiguous
>> with little room for syntax errors.
>>
>> Regards
>> Henrik
>>

> Extensible json headers seems to lend itself to put a lot of
> application-specific
> stuff in headers instead of in payload. The headers should be used for the
> protocol only.
>
> Squid has had many issues in the past with non-conformity to standards.
> The Squid developers obviously want to stick with the standards and are
> forced by non-conformant apps and servers to support non-conformity.
> Can this workshop be used to address this?
>
> Marcus

    Francesco