[squid-dev] HTTP meetup in Stockholm

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Tue Jul 12 09:53:18 UTC 2016

tis 2016-07-12 klockan 18:34 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
> I'm much more in favour of binary formats. The HTTP/2 HPACK design
> lends
> itself very easily to binary header values (ie sending integers as
> interger encoded value). Following PHK's lead on those.

json is very ambiguous with no defined schema or type restrictions.
It's up to the receiver to guess type information from format while
parsing, which in itself is a mess from security point of view.

The beauty of json is that it is trivially extensible with new data,
and have all basic data constructs you need for arbitrary data. (name
tagged, strings, integers, floats, booleans, arrays, dictionaries and
maybe something more). But for the same reason it's also unsuitable for
HTTP header information which should be consise, terse and un-ambiguous
with little room for syntax errors.

Regards
Henrik