[squid-dev] Moving from Bump-Server-First to Bump/Peek/Splice

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Mon Sep 14 16:53:15 UTC 2015

On 12/09/15 10:13, Steve Hill wrote:

> I will need to test this more thoroughly, but I was testing using
> proxytunnel (to set up the CONNECT) and openssl (to do the actual ssl
> bit) and found that the CN was always identical to the contents of the
> CONNECT, even if the CONNECT was to an IP address rather than a host name.

I've got to the bottom of this one.  This doesn't seem to be documented,
so I'm not sure if we just need to improve the documentation or if its
actually a bug. :)

If you peek at step 1 and bump at step 2, everything works correctly -
the CN, SAN, etc. from the original server certificate is copied into
the forged certificate as expected (this is how the old server-first
mode behaves).

If you bump at step 1, the forged certificate's CN is whatever
hostname/IP was given in the CONNECT request.

There's certainly value in being able to forge a certificate without
contacting the web server - i.e. generating error messages or
redirecting people to a captive portal, so this seems like good
functionality to keep, I just wasn't expecting it. :)

--
  - Steve Hill
    Technical Director

Direct contacts: