[squid-dev] RFC Squid-4/5 branching

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 9 16:02:30 UTC 2015

On 6/09/2015 7:39 a.m., Amos Jeffries wrote:
> The end of the year is coming up and I've been planning out the
> branching of Squid-4 into beta and Squid-5 the new trunk.
>
> As usual the goal is 1-3 betas and a stable Squid-4 by around Dec/Jan.
> Since we have monthly betas that means branching in just 3 weeks at the
> end of Sept.

Since I wrote the initial RFC I have remembered Alex suggested a few
years back that we return to packaging betas directly off trunk without
branching.

That was too much trouble at the time with all the side effects and
infrastructure scripts depending on the "HEAD" moniker. But all that
cruft has been swept away during the move to trunk/4.0.0.

In other words we do now have the option of just picking a suitable time
and tagging a trunk tarball as 4.0.1 beta. :-)

It would mean we return to having a freeze period for UI changes and big
features.