[squid-dev] [RFC] Squid-4/5 branching

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Nov 30 16:38:45 UTC 2015

On 11/30/2015 04:59 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> As far as I am aware all the major features and functionality that were
> roadmapped for Squid-4 have made it into the 4.0.3 beta.
>
> So I am planning to branch trunk on Thurs/Fri this week. The sponsored
> additions can then gain some testing in Squid-5 without delaying Squid-4.

Your call.

Given the current poor state of v3.5 and v4, I doubt trunk will receive
significant testing if you start committing major "sponsored additions"
there: We have more than enough technical debt in v3.5 and v4 to keep us
busy for a while, with no working regression testing setup. If major
changes start appearing in trunk, then I would have to stop recommending
running trunk for getting access to the state-of-the-art features like I
normally do.

Instead, we would be forced to add those state-of-the-art features and
fixes to a v4-based branch from where they will eventually trickle to
trunk, with even more delays and overhead than today. Thus, I recommend
against branching v4 and for committing "sponsored additions" with high
regressions risk to [sponsor-dedicated] branches [for testing by
sponsors and other interested parties] until we have a decent regression
testing in place.

My recommendation would have been different if we had not wasted so much
time on regressions recently and if we had a working regression testing
setup today. FWIW, I am renewing my efforts to launch that project and
hope to post the second proposal for the Board by the end of this week.

Cheers,