[squid-dev] Moved PID file management from Coordinator to Master

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Mar 25 03:03:06 UTC 2015

[re-send now the mailer is workign again in case you didnt get the first
one]

On 7/03/2015 7:38 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 01/21/2015 05:03 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 22/01/2015 12:57 a.m., Tsantilas Christos wrote:
>>
>>> I am posting a new patch.
>>
>>> This patch include fixes to follow Squid Coding Style but also have
>>> a fix for a small bug: In the previous patches I posted the pid
>>> creation done by master process but the pid file was not removed by
>>> master process. This patch fixes master process to remove pid file
>>> on exit.
>>

>> +1.
>

> Amos,
>
>     This patch went into trunk (r13867 and r13868). Do you plan on
> merging it (together with the pending "start workers as root" follow up)
> into v3.5 branch? It is your call, of course, but it is essentially a
> bug fix (SMP Squid does not restart reliably on busy servers without
> these changes). We can provide a v3.5-specific [combined] patch if that
> will make a positive decision easier for you.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

It is a bug fix on the one hand, but on the other its also a
design/behaviour change affecting everybody.

The choice is in the grey area for me, which means I'm treating it
conservatively and not to risking a backport destabilizing 3.5 unless we
have a clear need for it.
 There has not been much in the way of feedback regarding restart
relibility from the mailing lists and bugzilla so far. If you are seeing
a different view with more pressure, sure it can go back. Otherwise it
can wait a few more months for trunk to branch.