[squid-dev] [RFC] Squid 4.0 ideas

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun Mar 15 15:50:24 UTC 2015

Just couple notes from me.

One feature or more can be considered a good reason for a new version.
If we aim for the enterprise level users\admins then some if not most of
them would like to run a stable feature\version.

The state of squid now is very good compared to v2->v3.
Maybe it's not the "time" to change a language but the question I must
raise is:
How much do we want to improve the current code? how much more stable do
we need\want it to be?

Just adding that the current path squid has taken until now leads to
state which the OS reports a golang helper requires 300-400 MB of
virtual memory while squid for the same run-time and much more complex
computation actually uses 120MB+- of resident memory and about 20MB+- of
virtual memory(in some cases).
So squid is on the right path until now(to my opinion) and one or
another way of "counting" the code advancements should take in account
mainly the stability of the software.

Eliezer