[squid-dev] About squid behaviour in slow network

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 24 08:23:36 UTC 2015

On 24/01/2015 8:41 p.m., Arthur Tumanyan wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm wondered , how exactly squid does fighting "problems" in slow network
> environment, when channel to ,for example, facebook.com has high bandwidth,
> and low bandwidth to a client, and vice versa . Does it increasing/decreasing
> socket buffers? I could not find relative piece of code in squid. Could you
> point me, please ?

Mostly by relying on TCP buffering and obeying the HTTP mandate that
client and server connections are independent.

Depends on several things...
* some of them configurable (read_ahead_gap, min/max buffer and message
sizes, collapsed_forwarding, pipeline_prefetch, etc),
* some of them outside Squid (TCP buffer and read/write block sizes, etc)
* cacheability / store involvement with the reply object

For what version of Squid?

NP: We are in the process of changing those particular parts of the code
for the Parser-NG project in 3.HEAD/trunk so the answer there differs
from the stables.