[squid-dev] Moved PID file management from Coordinator to Master

Tsantilas Christos chtsanti at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 21 09:57:18 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 02:55 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 01/16/2015 08:51 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 16/01/2015 11:29 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>> In SMP, there is only one Coordinator process, created by the
>>> Master process.
>
>>> All SMP kids (Coordinator, workers, and diskers) are started by
>>> the Master process. There are no multiple levels as far as kid
>>> startup and waiting are concerned and, hence, there is no "level
>>> deeper than the master can see".
>

>> Hmm, okay. Then I have no problem per-se to this change of esponsibility.
>
> Great, thank you.
>

>> I do still think the coordinator needs to remain active until last out
>> of the kids though, so they can still use it to coordinate during
>> their shutdowns. Having it be the first up and last down would solve a
>> few architectural problems where kids need to to collaborate on
>> things, like log rotations or broadcasting their availability.
>
> Agreed!

This patch does not prevent coordinator process exit before the workers,
but also current squid does not guarantees that the coordinator will
exit after workers.
I agree that we need to implement it, but looks that this is out of the
scope of this patch.

If there is not any objection I will apply this patch as is for now.