[squid-dev] Moved PID file management from Coordinator to Master

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jan 15 22:29:20 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 03:09 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 01/14/2015 11:25 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> Does the master process get exit status of *all* worker processes
>>> and the sub-childs down N levels? It was my understanding that in
>>> SMP each worker disker etc is a fork() and the child becomes new
>>> coordinator.

Hi Amos,

    In SMP, there is only one Coordinator process, created by the Master
process.

> I suspect we will find that some diskers etc are in fact spawned by
> either coordinator or a worker and one level deeper than the master
> can see.

All SMP kids (Coordinator, workers, and diskers) are started by the
Master process. There are no multiple levels as far as kid startup and
waiting are concerned and, hence, there is no "level deeper than the
master can see".

Needless to say, there are processes that are not SMP kids. For example,
all helpers do not run Squid code and, hence, they are not kids and are
not affected by the proposed fix.

HTH,