[squid-dev] [RFC] on_crash

Kinkie gkinkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:29:10 UTC 2015

Hi,
  this sounds like an useful feature, especially if we also manage to
include a sample/default crash handler.
Among the choices you provide I like "on_fatal_exit"; I could also
suggest "crash_handler", "crash_helper", "crash_report_collector" or
somesuch.

Good thinking

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     The attached patch modifies Squid to run /tmp/squid-on-fatal.sh on
> fatal errors. A sample script is also attached. I needed this trick to
> triage a complicated bug related to Squid shared memory usage.
>
> In general, running such a script helps record the environment state
> _before_ Squid exits, which is important when the problem is related to
> Squid resource usage that often becomes invisible after the Squid
> process is gone: connections, FDs, shared memory segments, etc.
>
> The patch needs more work to make this behavior and the script name
> squid.conf-configurable. We should also pass Squid PID and Squid process
> "role" to the script as parameters so that the script does not have to
> guess them.
>

> Do you want this feature in Squid?
>
> If yes, which squid.conf directive name do you think works the best?
> Here are some options to consider:
>
> on_crash ...
> on_fatal_exit ..
> on_bad_exit ...
> on_unexpected_exit ...
> on_exit <success|failure> ...
>
> The directive parameter could be
>
>   program=...
>   handler=...
>
> which would allow us to easily add more exit-handling options later if
> needed (e.g., free_all_memory, keep_shared_memory, etc.).
>

> Please note that Squid already does something similar on startup. See
> squid_start_script in main.cc. That hack should be made configurable
> too, of course (on_start, on_launch, etc.).
>

> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

    Francesco