[squid-dev] Bug 4305: Squid reports X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY...

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Dec 2 05:18:24 UTC 2015

On 2/12/2015 6:08 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 04:38 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> So, I suggest this for the full doc:
>> "
>> DOC_START
>>   Many origin servers fail to send their full server certificate
>>   chain for verification. Assuming the client already has or can
>>   easily locate any intermediate certificates that are missing.
>>
>>   Squid uses the certificates from the specified file to fill in
>>   these missing chains when trying to validate origin server
>>   certificate chains.
>>
>>   The file is expected to contain zero or more PEM-encoded
>>   intermediate certificates. These certificates are not treated
>>   as trusted root certificates and any self-signed certificate in
>>   this file will be ignored.
>>
>>   This directive may be repeated to load multiple files
>> DOC_END
>> "
>
> Looks good to me, assuming the code ignores self-signed certificates and
> does support loading multiple files.
>
> s/verification. Assuming/verification, assuming/
>
> s/any intermediate certificates that are missing/any missing
> intermediate certificates/
>
> s/certificates and any/certificates, and any/
>
> s/multiple files/multiple files./
>

>> Nod. "untrusted" is not exactly a clear name to anyone unfamiliar with
>> the internals of OpenSSL. To the rest of the world (including Squid's
>> usage) these are "intermediate certificates". So calling it
>> "sslproxy_intermediate_certs" might be clearer to admin than untrusted.
>
> Agreed. On the other hand, the proxy itself may need send its own
> intermediate certificates (for regular https_port connections, when
> _not_ doing SslBump) so some admins will try to stuff those proxy
> intermediate certificates here.

AFAICS, "sslproxy_" directive set are all consistently scoped as being
for configuring the outgoing server connections (specifically DIRECT
ones, not cache_peer).

The equivalent https_port intermediate certificates are probably best
loaded as multiple certificates from the cert= file. That seems to be
where admin are first attempting to putting them already.