[squid-dev] bootstrap_libtoolize: why remove COPYING.LIB?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat Aug 29 22:07:48 UTC 2015

On 08/29/2015 11:11 AM, Kinkie wrote:

>   I fail to understand the reason for this section of code in bootstrap.sh

> # do not bundle with the huge standard license text

The reason is explained in the comment that comes with the code: Avoid
bundling Squid with huge and standard license text [that we probably
include elsewhere anyway].

> It comes from a long way back, and at least in my setup (MacOS, automake
> 1.15, autoconf 2.69, libtool 2.4.6) it's not working: during test-suite
> somehow the rules targetting COPYING.LIB get recreated.
> It looks like an optimization feature, could we maybe simply drop it and
> keep COPYING.LIB around?

It was an optimization feature. IIRC, it was copied from another Factory
project using libLtdl when Squid needed support for loadable modules.

If this optimization is broken or is in the way for some reason, and you
do not think improving it is worth the optimization gains, then I
personally do not object to dropping it. If you drop it, please explain
why in your commit message to decrease our chances of repeating the same
mistake (i.e., adding this optimization).