[squid-dev] find-bad-changes.pl

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat Aug 22 22:18:43 UTC 2015

On 08/22/2015 02:03 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> I still believe we need to do these as flag-day in trunk just before
> branching a new version.

Just keep in mind that doing so in just one recent branch (no matter
what you call it or when you do it) maximizes the overhead. Doing it in
all recent branches reduces the overhead. Not doing it at all minimizes
the overhead IMO (but obviously others do not see it that way or this
topic would not come up again and again).

On 08/22/2015 07:55 AM, Kinkie wrote:

> I understand Alex' point of view that unnecessary changes make
> maintaining branches more expensive, but what if these changes could be
> automated? It'd be enough to run the same script on trunk and on the
> branch(es) and the effort of doing a flag-day change would be next to
> negligible.

You underestimate the effect. There are many branches and many patches
out there, some of which we do not even have direct control over. It is
technically doable, of course, but the cost for some of us is far more
than "next to negligible".

> HERE would be a perfect POC for this way of acting.
>
> What do you think guys?

I believe this has been discussed already. There is a trade-off between
the cost of avoiding unnecessary changes and the cost of applying them
"once" across all relevant Squid branches (starting with at least v3.5)
and patches. The balance is different for different developers, and it
is pretty much impossible to compare the effects in an objective way.

If somebody takes the lead, develops the conversion script, tests it on
the official branches, and proposes a reasonable conversion schedule,
then I do not see how others can collect enough objective evidence to
block that "one-time" conversion.