[squid-dev] More woes with ubuntu-precise

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Aug 14 15:05:13 UTC 2015

On 08/13/2015 10:52 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 14/08/2015 10:18 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 08/13/2015 09:29 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>>
>>>    EnumIterator has brought out one more issue with ubuntu-precise:
>>> since it carries gcc-4.6, it doesn't support std::underlying_type<enum>.
>>

>>> The options are:
>>> - drop support for precise in trunk. We claim to need gcc 4.8 anyway
>>
>> I am confused: If GCC v4.8 is required, then why are you asking about a
>> Ubuntu release that comes with GCC v4.6? Does it imply that we were only
>> pretending to require GCC v4.8 and now may actually have to start
>> requiring it?

> My thoughts almost the same.
>
> The published "requirement" I put up was:
> "
> This series of Squid requires a C++11 capable compiler. The currently
> known compilers which meet this criteria and build Squid reliably are
> GCC 4.9+, Clang 3.5+, and Intel CC 12.0+
> "
>
> So its not even 4.8, more of a soft-ish 4.9+.

I was under impression that we have promised GCC 4.8 support for Squid
v4.0. Perhaps I am missing some deliberations with thoughtful
justifications, but it feels like we are simply increasing the required
GCC version number just because it is convenient for developers, without
balancing admin and developer needs.